When the phrase “break up” is mentioned most people immediately think of the early rock/pop song Breaking Up is Hard to Do. For most of us, this is absolutely the truth. It is difficult to end a relationship with someone we have grown close to. Sharing ups and downs, laughing, crying and just relaxing – all of these things bring two people very close, emotionally and mentally. Only on rare occasions are two people able to break up without hard feelings or sadness. Many people believe that parting as good friends, on good terms, is not the same as really breaking up.
Over the course of centuries, as men and women have spent free time together, dated, became engaged and eventually married, couples have developed ways to break up. Some of these methods have been quite creative. One of the worst things one person can do to another is just leave, suddenly and without explanation. It’s much better to talk about the possibility of break up; giving the other person a bit of warning about what may be taking place. Songwriters such as Paul Simon have even come up with 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover. Unfortunately, most of the suggestions in this tongue-in-cheek song are drastic and sudden, not really creative and far from considerate.
In combination with the many ways to leave or break up, people have come up with some wonderful words and phrases to apply to the situation. Some of these are just random thoughts from lesser-known individuals. Yet they are remarkable in their insight into the emotions and thoughts that come with a break up. Other quotes and suggestions about breaking up come from well-known people who have obviously given this subject a lot of thought. Sometimes the idea is just to leave the situation as it is, to avoid further pain. In other cases, the quotes and ideas focus on trying to get the relationship back on track. In every case, break up quotes can help ease you through difficult times.
Break Up Quotes and Sayings
- It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all – Alfred Lord Tennyson.
- A break up is like a broken mirror. It is better to leave it broken than hurt yourself trying to fix it – Anonymous.
- Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop – Anonymous.
- Love is hard to get into, but even harder to get out of – Anonymous.
- It takes a couple seconds to say Hello, but forever to say Goodbye – Anonymous.
- The pain of having a broken heart is not so much as to kill you, yet not so little as to let you live – Anonymous.
- One way to break up any kind of tension is good deep breathing – Byron Nelson.
- I never knew how quickly I would go from someone that you loved to someone you used to know – Collin Raye.
- When you break up, your whole identity is shattered. It’s like death – Dennis Quaid.
- From an angel’s wings to a fallen star, God makes everything but unbreakable hearts – Jessica Andrews.
- Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation – Kahlil Gibran.
- I didn’t realize how much I loved him until he was standing there and he wasn’t mine any more – Laura Esparz.
- The most terrible poverty is loneliness and the feeling of being unloved – Mother Teresa.
- The heart was made to be broken – Oscar Wilde.
- They that sow in tears shall reap in joy – Psalms.
- My view is that one should not break up a winning combination – Richard M. Nixon.
- The hottest love has the coldest end – Socrates.
- There is one thing I would break up over, and that is if she caught me with another woman. I won’t stand for that – Steve Martin.
- To love a person is to learn the song that is in their heart and sing it to them when they have forgotten – Thomas Chandler.
- The loss of love is not nearly as painful as our resistance to accepting it is – Tigress Luv.
- Breaking up is a natural evolution when you try to figure out what you want in life – Usher.
- Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart – Washington Irving.
- To love and win is the best thing. To love and lose, the next best – William M. Thackeray.
- Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable – Wizard of Oz.